GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

DEAN

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"DEAN, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, in the county of Bedford, 9 miles north of St. Neot's, and 12 north of Bedford. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £125, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, square tower, and spire, and has a beautiful carved oak roof, and a brass to Canon Parker. The charities amount to £69 per annum. There is a free school, founded by Joseph Neale in 1702. At Nether Dean there is a Wesleyan chapel. By the Act 40 George III., the tithes of this and of the adjoining parish of Over Dean were commuted for land and a money payment. Lord St. John is lord of the manor."

"LOWER DEAN, (or Nether Dean) a hamlet in the parish of Dean, hundred of Stodden, in the county of Bedford, 4 miles west of Kimbolton, 1½ miles north of Upper Dean.

"UPPER DEAN, (or Over Dean) a hamlet in the parish of Dean, hundred of Stodden, in the county of Bedford, 4 miles west of Kimbolton, 1½ miles south of Lower Dean.

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014