Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"DUNTON, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles east-south-east of Biggleswade, its post town. It contains the hamlets of Millow and Newton. Nearly the whole of the land is arable. The tithes have been commuted for land and a corn-rent, under an Enclosure Act, obtained in 1797. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £120, in the patronage of Earl Brownlow. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, and has a monumental brass to J. Chishull, bearing date 1648. The charities amount to £5 per annum."
"MILLOW, a hamlet in the parish of Dunton, hundred of Biggleswade, county Bedford, 3 miles south east of Biggleswade. It is a small agricultural place, and had formerly a chapel-of-ease."
"NEWTON, a hamlet in the parish of Dunton, county Bedford, 2 miles east of Biggleswade."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, and an embattled western tower, containing 5 bells (hung in 1887 in commemoration of the jubilee of Queen Victoria), and south porch: it was partially rebuilt in 1861, at a cost of £1,600 (£650 of which was given by Robert Selwyn Pryor esq.) : the chancel was restored by the late Earl Brownlow, in 1861 : there are 495 sittings. The register dates from the year 1553. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here is a Baptist chapel. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Dunton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL235441 (Lat/Lon: 52.081448, -0.199132), Dunton which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Dunton War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.