GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

DUNTON

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"DUNTON, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles east-south-east of Biggleswade, its post town. It contains the hamlets of Millow and Newton. Nearly the whole of the land is arable. The tithes have been commuted for land and a corn-rent, under an Enclosure Act, obtained in 1797. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £120, in the patronage of Earl Brownlow. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, and has a monumental brass to J. Chishull, bearing date 1648. The charities amount to £5 per annum."

"MILLOW, a hamlet in the parish of Dunton, hundred of Biggleswade, county Bedford, 3 miles south east of Biggleswade. It is a small agricultural place, and had formerly a chapel-of-ease."

"NEWTON, a hamlet in the parish of Dunton, county Bedford, 2 miles east of Biggleswade."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014