[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"EATON BRAY, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 3 miles west
of Dunstable, its post town, and 4 south east of Leighton Buzzard. A castle
formerly stood here, supposed to have been built about the 13th century.
The chief employment of the people is in the manufacture of straw-plait.
The village is considerable. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of
Ely, value £189, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church
is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a
chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls. Mrs. Ann
Macnamara is lady of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"EATON GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Eaton Bray, county of Bedfordshire,
¾ mile north west of Eaton Bray."
"HONEYWICK, a small hamlet in the parishes of Eaton Bray and Totternhoe,
county of Bedfordshire, 2 miles west of Dunstable."
"MOOR END, a hamlet in the parish of Eaton Bray, county of Bedfordshire,
1 mile south of Eaton Bray."
"VALENCE END, a farmhouse in the parish of Eaton Bray, county of Bedfordshire,
2 miles south east of Eaton Bray."
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
- The church of
St. Mary the Virgin is an edifice in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, presenting many interesting features, and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and a plain western tower containing 5 bells : the chancel is Perpendicular ; the nave arcades Early English ; the north aisle mixed, with an embattled reredos : the centre light of the east window in the south aisle is blocked and filled with a fine Perpendicular niche, below which is a richly wrought reredos of the same date in ten compartments : the south door retains some magnificent wrought iron scroll work, of late Early English or Early Decorated origin, supposed to have been the work of Leighton, the famous blacksmith : the Early English font consists of a circular basin on a central column, with four attached shafts : at the west end of the south aisle is some late sculptured work, with scrolls, with the shield of Edmund, Lord Braye, impaling his arms with those of his wife Jane (Hallighwell), the royal arms of the
Tudors, some badges and the Braye crest, a hemp-brake : there is a fine old tomb with brass effigy to Lady Jane Braye, wife of Sir Edmund Braye (first Baron Braye), 1558, and eleven children : and an inscribed brass to Jane, daughter of Edmund, Lord Braye, 1539. The register dates from the year 1559.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
The history of the church of St Mary the Virgin is supplied on the Eaton Bray website (on archive.org).
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014