[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"EATON SOCON, a parish in the hundred of Barford, county Bedford, 1 mile S.W. of St. Neot's, its post town and railway station, and 11 north east of Bedford. It is situated to the west of the river Ouse, and includes a number of small hamlets, the principal of which are Bushmead, Eatonford, and Wyboston. There was formerly a castle, belonging to the Beauchamps, and a priory for Augustine Monks, founded by Sir Oliver Beauchamp, the only remaining portion of which, the refectory, is now converted into stables. The workhouse of the St. Neot's Union is at Eatonford, in this parish. The land is chiefly pasture and meadow. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £439, in the patronage of J. G. Atkinson, Esq. The church is a handsome structure, with a fine tower containing six bells. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains two monumental brasses. The charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. John H. Day, Esq., is lord of the manor. Bushmead Priory is the principal residence."
The 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Eaton Socon is to be found on a supplementary page.
- Bushmead Cross
- Eaton Ford