[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"EVERSHOLT, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2 miles
S.E. of Woburn, its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of
Ely, value £600. The church is an old edifice, dedicated to St. John the
Baptist, and has an ancient font and several monuments. The parochial
endowments produce about £140 per annum, £10 of which are for education.
There is a National school for boys, girls, and infants. The Duke of
Bedford is lord of the manor. Eversholt is a scattered village and so
the following descriptions take Witts End as being the centre of the village:"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
The 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Eversholt
is to be found on a supplementary page.
- Brook End
- Church End
- Higher Berry End
- Higher Rads End
- Hills End
- Lower Berry End
- Lower Rads End
- Potters End
- Tyrells End
- Wakes End
- Water End
- Witts End
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles and a western embattled tower containing 6 bells : the north aisle projects one bay beyond the nave, and opens into the chancel by a Decorated arch, on one side of which is a piscina: there is another in the south aisle and a third in the chancel : the monuments include one to the Hon. Frances Ongley, eldest daughter of Samuel Henley, first Baron Ongley, of Old Warden, a title which became extinct in 1877 ; Mrs. Elizabeth Hyde, sister of the Bishop of St, David's, and Mrs. Sarah. Hodgkinson : on the wall of the vestry is a boar's head carved in stone, the name Eversholt signifying " the hold of the wild boar : the church underwent a complete restoration in 1864, under the direction of the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A. at a cost of about £3,000, and will seat 300 persons. The register dates from the year 1628.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the
Eversholt War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014