Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
This page contains the Extra-Parochial places for Bedfordshire
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CHICKSANDS, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (west-north-west) from Shefford, containing 66 inhabitants. A priory for canons and nuns of the rule of St. Gilbert of Sempringham was founded, in 1150, by Pain de Beauchamp, and the Lady Roas, his wife; the two quadrangles, with the cloisters, remain entire, and have been converted into a modem mansion."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]