Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"EYEWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, county Bedford, 3 miles S.E. of Potton, and 4 east of Biggleswade, its post town. There is no village, only a few scattered houses. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £96. The church is an old structure, dedicated to All Saints, and has a brass of R. Gadbury (1624). There are charities producing about £17 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Church of England
- The church of All Saints is an ancient building of grey stone and cobble, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a low embattled western tower, with spire, containing 2 bells, there are some stained windows, and in the south wall of the chancel is a richly ornamented monument, to Sir Edmund Anderson kt. Chief Justice of the Common Pleas (ob. 1 Aug. 1605) and Magdalen (Smyth), his wife, consisting of a fine altar tomb-of marble upon which are two recumbent effigies, one representing Sir Edmund in his judicial robes with collar of SS. and the other his wife in the nearest dress of the period : the canopy is semi-circular, the projecting portion being upheld by two pillars 7ft. in height : the whole is surmounted by the armorial bearings of the family : there are also two other monuments of lesser dimensions tp members of this family, and three brasses with inscriptions to Richard Gadburye (ob. 1624) (founder of the Eyworth charity), his wife and only daughter : there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1550. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Eyeworth which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL249457 (Lat/Lon: 52.095512, -0.178127), Eyeworth which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Eyeworth War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.