[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"FELMERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 3 miles east
of Harrold, and 7 north west of Bedford, its post town. The Sharnbrook station on
the Midland railway is about 1½ mile north of the village. It includes the
hamlet of Radwell, where there is a bridge across the river Ouse. The
living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £169, in the patronage
of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is a stone edifice, dedicated to
St. Bartholomew, and contains a brass. There is also the district church of
Pavenham, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £200. The
parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is a chapel
belonging to the Methodists in the parish, and a National school. Crewe
Alston, Esq., is lord of the manor. The principal residence is the Grange."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"FELMERSHAM HARDWICK, a single house in the parish of Felmersham, county of
Bedfordshire, 2 miles south west of Felmersham."
"MOOR END, a small hamlet in the parish of Felmersham, county of Bedfordshire,
1 mile east north east of Felmersham."
"RADWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Felmersham, hundred of Willey, county
Bedford, 6 miles north west of Bedford, on the river Ouse. The Wesleyan
Methodists have a place of worship."
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- Church of England
The church of St. Mary is a noble cruciform structure of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, furnishing a most interesting example of that period, and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, transepts, aisles, south porch and a central embattled tower with turret, containing 5 bells and a clock : the western entrance is very fine, and exhibits a richly-moulded west doorway, on either side of which is a panelled arch, inclosing two others ; over this is an Early English arcade, and above this a triplet : the clerestory, which is lofty and embattled, is Perpendicular, to which date also belongs the upper part of the tower : the chancel is separated from the nave by an ancient and celebrated oak screen, richly painted : it is of Perpendicular date, and was erected, as appears by the inscription upon it by Richard King and Annete his wife : the east and west windows are stained, and there are many other stained windows in this church, some of those in the north aisle containing early f
ragments : the chancel retains a double piscina : the organ was introduced in 1872 at a cost of £323 : the church was restored in 1853-5, at the cost of the late Mr. I Payne esq. and further improvements were made in 1867-9, by the Rev. Richard Rawle M.A. then vicar : since 1889 the bells have been rehung, a reredos of alabaster erected, a vestry built, the old font repaired, and other improvements effected at a cost of about £300 : there are memorials to John Leach, 1687, William Leach, 1735, Rev. H. D. W
ard M.A. 19 years rector, 1846 ; and to the families of Duppa, Rands, Ferth, Aspin and others : in the nave is a monument to Richard Otway, 1621, and in the south aisle a tablet to the Rev. Thos. Orlebar Marsh, vicar of Steventon, 1749-1831, and others of his family : there are 300 sittings. The register dates from 1660.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- RADWELL is a large hamlet, about one mile east, near the river Ouse, over which them is a bridge of four arches. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, built 1807.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- A transcript of
List of Incumbents of Felmersham St Mary since 1235.
Felmersham.net. This site covers the villages of Felmersham and Radwell.
- If your ancestors came from Felmersham or Radwell, there is an interesting website online called
www.felmersham.net that includes history and photographs among other items.
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the
Felmersham & Radwell War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014