Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
" FLITTON, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, comprising the chapelry of Silsoe, and the township of Flitton, and containing 1069 inhabitants, of which number, 501 are in the township of Flitton, 1¼ mile (west) from Silsoe. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lin-coln, rated in the king's books at £11.7.8., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford, The church, an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, contains several monuments, amongst which is a figure in brass of Thomas Hill, who died in 1601, at the great age of one hundred and twenty-eight years. Southward from the village, which was anciently called Flitcham, is Pallox Hill, remarkable in the beginning of the last century for a gold mine discovered in it, which was seized for the king, and leased to a refiner; the produce, however, being too inconsiderable, it was soon abandoned."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]