Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"FLITTON, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, comprising the chapelry of Silsoe, and the township of Flitton, and containing 1009 inhabitants, of which number, 501 are in the township of Flitton, Ijj mile (W.) from Silsoe. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £ 11. 7. 8., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, contains several monuments, amongst which is a figure in brass of Thomas Hill, who died in 1601, at the great age of one hundred and twentyeight years. Southward from the village, which was anciently called Fliteham, is Pallox hill, remarkable in the beginning of the last century for a gold mine discovered in it, which vras seized for the king, and leased to a refiner; the produce, however, being too inconsiderable, it was soon abandoned."
"SILSOE, a chapelry (formerly a market-town) in the parish of FLITTON, hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 10 miles (S. by E.) from Bedford, containing 568 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, has a tower in the decorated style, with a wooden spire, and over the altar a representation of the Adoration of the Shepherds, painted and presented by Mrs. Mary Lloyd. A market, now disused, was granted in 1319; also a fair, which is held on the festival of St. Peter and St. James, besides which there is another on September 21st."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]