We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1831.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
"FLITWICK, a parish in the hundred of REDBORNE-STOKE, county of BEDFORD, 2¾ miles south-west from Ampthill, containing 489 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £7.17., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. The Duke of Bedford was patron in 182O. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. A monastery, or cell to Dunstable priory, was erected here in 1170, by Philip de Sannerville."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]