GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

FLITWICK

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"FLITWICK, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Bedford, 3 miles S. of Ampthill, its post town, and 10 from Bedford. It is situated on the river Ivel, or Flitt, a tributary of the Ouse. A large portion of this parish is wood. A cell to Dunstable Priory was founded at Rokesae in 1170 by Phil. de Sannerville. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £230. The church is a Gothic structure, with Norman arch at the north doorway, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a National school for both sexes. In the vicinity are traces of several camps. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1806. J. T. Brooks, Esq., is the lord of the manor."

"CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Flitwick, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile to the south west of Flitwick."

"DENEL END, a hamlet in the parish of Flitwick, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile to the north west of Flitwick."

"EAST END, a hamlet in the parish of Flitwick, county of Bedfordshire, adjoining Flitwick to the south."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014