Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Goldington, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"GOLDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of BARFORD, county of BEDFORD, 1 mile (N. E. by E.) from Bedford, containing 426 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £8. 9. 4., and in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The navigable river Ouse bounds the parish on the south. There is a lofty conical mound, the remains of an ancient fortification, called Castle hill. In the reign of Henry II., Simon Beauchamp founded a monastery in honour of St. Paul, and removed hither the Black canons of the priory of St. Paul's, Bedford; at the dissolution its revenue was estimated at £343. 15. 5."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]