Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HARLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 6 miles south-east of Woburn. Toddington is its post town. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent under an Enclosure Act in 1808. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £143. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, has a square embattled tower. The charities produce about £9 per annum. Woodend in this parish was formerly a seat of the Astrey family. Harlington House is the principal residence."
"GOSWELL END, a hamlet in the parish of Harlington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile north of Harlington."
"LOWER EAST END, a farm house in the parish of Harlington, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile east north east of Harlington."
"UPPER EAST END, a hamlet in the parish of Harlington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile east north east of Harlington."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Harlington.
- The Methodist Church, Harlington.
- There are photographs and a description of St Mary's on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, and an embattled tower containing 5 bells: there is a stained window in the chancel, a memorial window to the late George Pearse esq. and his wife, a line painting of the "Crucifixion" and a tablet to one of the Astray family, dated 1716 : the church was partially restored in 1867, and a new organ provided in 1878. The register dates from the year 1647. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here is a Wesleyan chapel. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Harlington which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL035305 (Lat/Lon: 51.963312, -0.494991), Harlington which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Harlington War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.