Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HENLOW, a parish in the hundred of Clifton, county Bedford, 2½ miles south-east of Shefford, its post town, 4½ south west of Biggleswade, and 4 from Hitchin by the Midland railway, on which it is a station. It is a small village situated on the river Ivel. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the manufacture of straw plait. The land is chiefly arable, with a small proportion of meadow and pasture. The surface is flat, and the soil chiefly a strong clayey loam, with sand in parts. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents under an Act of Enclosure in 1795. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £265, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, a stone structure with a tower, is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. Henlow Grange is the principal residence. There are two parochial schools, one for boys and the other for girls."
"NEW TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Henlow, county of Bedfordshire, ½ north of Henlow."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary, which is very picturesquely situated, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch., and a fine and massive embattled western tower contaming 5 bells: there are several marble tablets to members of the Edwards family from 1693 to 1840, and memorials to the families of Buckby, Raynsford, Oades, Bedford and Freeman. The register dates from the year 1558. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see pictures of Henlow which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL177384 (Lat/Lon: 52.031486, -0.285695), Henlow which are provided by: