GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

HENLOW

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"HENLOW, a parish in the hundred of Clifton, county Bedford, 2½ miles south-east of Shefford, its post town, 4½ south west of Biggleswade, and 4 from Hitchin by the Midland railway, on which it is a station. It is a small village situated on the river Ivel. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the manufacture of straw plait. The land is chiefly arable, with a small proportion of meadow and pasture. The surface is flat, and the soil chiefly a strong clayey loam, with sand in parts. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents under an Act of Enclosure in 1795. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £265, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, a stone structure with a tower, is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. Henlow Grange is the principal residence. There are two parochial schools, one for boys and the other for girls."

"NEW TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Henlow, county of Bedfordshire, ½ north of Henlow."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Community Websites

Description and Travel

Directories

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014