[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] (unless otherwise stated)
" HOCKLIFFE, a parish in the hundred of MANSHEAD, county of BEDFORD, 3½ miles (east-north-east) from Leighton-Buzzard, containing 393 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, united in 1772 to the vicarage of Chalgrave, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese or Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £16. 9. 7. Mrs. Robinson was patroness in 1791. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a place of worship for Independents. Francis West, in 1690, bequeathed £400 for educating poor children of Hockliffe and Chalgrave: the income is £30 a year, for which nine boys of each parish are instructed. So early as the reign of John here was an hospital, founded for a master and brethren, and dedicated to St. John the Baptist."