Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
"HOLWELL, a parish and village , 2 miles south from the Henlow station on the Bedford and Hitchin branch of the Midland railway and 3½ north-west from Hitchin in the Southern division of the county, Biggleswade 3 petty sessional division, hundred of Clifton, Hitchin union, rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely, situated on the borders of Hertfordshire: part of the village is, in the parish of Shillington. The Great Northern main line and a branch of the Midland railway run through the parish on the east.
The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, strong clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, beans and peas. The area is 584 acres ; rateable value, £2,693 ; the population in 1891 was 278."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]