"HOLWELL, a parish in the hundred of Clifton, county Bedford, 3½ miles north-west of Hitchin, its post town, and 4½ south of Shefford. The parish is of small extent, and is situated near the river Hiz. The tithes were commuted for 120 acres of land under an Enclosure Act in 1802. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £120. The church, which was repaired in 1845, is a stone edifice dedicated to St. Peter. The charities produce about £105 per annum, chiefly the proceeds of a property at East Greenwich, bequeathed to the parish by Mr. Rand in 1706. By order of the Court of Chancery, the accumulations of this fund were applied in 1831 to the building of a school, and a house for the incumbent. Here are almshouses for six inmates. Frederick Delme Radcliffe, Esq., is lord of the manor."