[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HOUGHTON-CONQUEST, a parish in the hundred of Redbornstoke, county Bedford,
3 miles north of Ampthill, its post town, and 6 south of Bedford. It is a small
agricultural village, with some remains of the old seat of the Conquests,
in which they received James L in 1605. The mansion was first erected by
Sydney's sister, from a design in the "Arcadia;" it was afterwards altered
by Inigo Jones for the Earl of Ailesbury, and subsequently by Chambers for
the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Houghton
Gildable, in the diocese of Ely, value £828, in the patronage of St. John's
College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a tower
containing six bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1845, and contains a
monument to Dr. Zachary Grey, editor of "Hudibras," and a commentator on
Shakspeare. The charities produce about £86 per annum, of which £68 goes to
Clarke's school and almshouses. Houghton Park is situated a short distance
S.W. of the village, but the famous mansion of the earls of Elgin and
Ailesbury is now destroyed. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"CHAPEL END, a small hamlet in the parish of Houghton Conquest, in county Bedfordshire,
1 mile north east of Houghton Conquest."
"DUCK END, a hamlet in the parish of Houghton Conquest, in county Bedfordshire,
½ mile north west of Houghton Conquest."
"HAWHILLS, a hamlet in the parish of Houghton Conquest, in county Bedfordshire,
1½ mile south east of Houghton Conquest."
"HOW END, a hamlet in the parish of Houghton Conquest, in county Bedfordshire,
1½ mile south west of Houghton Conquest."
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- All Saints Church, Houghton Conquest.
- Church of England
The church of All Saints is a spacious and elegant structure, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower of the Decorated period, containing 6 bells: it was restored in 1870 by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. : the stained east window, erected in 1880 by the late Very Rev. John Burgon M.A. Dean of Chichester (d. 1888) is a memorial to three benefactors, Eliza Hargrave and Mary and Sarah Windle; the walls of the aisles bear traces of frescoes, the designs of which are in some parts sufficiently distinct to be distinguished: over the north doorway is a huge painting of St. Christopher, of the 15th century : on the north wall of the chancel is a monument of carved alabaster consisting of a species of framework in which is set the figure of Dr. Archer, rector, 1579-1620, in the act of exhortation, with book in hand, and partially resting upon a cushion; attached is a partially effaced inscription in Latin; he died in 1620: there is also an
altar slab to Dame Ann Clearke, 1644; and two brasses to members of the Conquest family. The register dates from the year 1595. The parish registers of Houghton Conquest, 1539-188, are in the Bodleian Library, Oxford, having been purchased in 1884.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1878 ; the old chapel, built in 1833, is now used as a schoolroom.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the
Houghton Conquest War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014