We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.

HOUGHTON-REGIS:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)

"HOUGHTON-REGIS, a parish in the hundred of MANSHEAD, county of BEDFORD, 1 mile (N.) from Dunstable, containing 1283 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £11. 3. 4. The Duke of Bedford was patron in 1819. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains an ancient monument, with the statue of a man in armour beneath a highly decorated arch, in the early style of English architecture. A free school was founded and endowed, in 1654, by Thomas Whitehead, with an estate and £250, for the education of twenty poor children: the annual income is £ 50, and sixteen boys are instructed. This place, as its name imports, was anciently held in royal demesne."

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]