Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HULCOTE, (or Holcote or Holcutt or Holcott or Hulcot), a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 4 miles north of Woburn, its post town. It is a small village, situated on Crawley brook. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The living is a rectory* united with the vicarage of Salford, in the diocese of Ely, joint value £245. The parish church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure, and has some monuments of the Charnocke family.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Church of England
- The church of St. Nicholas is a very small but ancient edifice of late Perpendicular date, consisting of chancel and nave and a low embattled western tower, with pinnacles at the angles and containing 4 bells: there are monuments of the Chernocke family from the time of Henry VIII, to the present .day, and these include one, beautifully carved, Faith effigies and shields of arms, to Robert Chernocke, 1547, and Richard his son, 1615; there are other monuments to Lieut.-Col. C. Hervey Smith, of Aspley House, 1857, and Frances, his wife, and others to the Rev. Edward Hervey, rector, 1796; in the nave is a slab inscribed to William Nichols esq. 1619 : the east window is stained : the church is not now in use, except as a mortuary chapel. The register dates from the year 1658. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Hulcote which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP943388 (Lat/Lon: 52.039550, -0.626571), Hulcote which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Salford & Hulcote War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.