[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HUSBORNE CRAWLEY, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, in the county of Bedford, 2½ miles north of Woburn, its post town, where there is a station on the North Western line, and 5 from Ampthill. It is situated near Crawley Brook, which runs into the river Ouzel. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £46, in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The tithes were commuted in 1795. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. The charities amount to £112 per annum. Crawley Nether and Crawley Green are places here.
"CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Husborne Crawley, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile north east of Husborne Crawley."
The church of St. Mary, situated on an eminence, is an edifice of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles and a fine and lofty embattled western tower containing a good peal of 6 bells and a clock: in the church is a monument, with the effigies of a knight in armour and his lady, under a canopy, supported by Doric columns, and appears, from the shield of arms thereon, to commemorate some of the Thomson family, by whom the manor was held in the 17th century: in the church is a curious iron-bound parish chest: there are sittings for 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1558.. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1867. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898
Crawley House, the residence of Mrs. Orlebar, is pleasantly seated in park-like grounds, and the view from the garden front is very picturesque. The Duke of Bedford, who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Orlebar and Mr. Morris are the principal landowners. The soil is light sandy; subsoil, gravel; the chief crops are wheat; barley and beans. The area is 1,610 acres; rateable value, £2,419; the population in 1891 was 410. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
GRANBOROUGH HOUSE 270 Bedford Rd, Husbourne Crawley. In the 18th century the property was owned and lived in by the GRANBOROUGH family, William and Francis Granborough and their son William. A large wing of the house was demolished by Francis after the death of her husband and son in approx 1785 and a new Georgian red and black brick facade was built to replace the timber framed front. The three wills are preserved in the Bedford Archives, the family are all buried at Husbourne Crawley church. In the late 19th century the property was let to Mr Barnwell and was listed as the local baker and corn dealer.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP960357 (Lat/Lon: 52.011395, -0.602662), Husborne Crawley which are provided by:
The Woburn Sands & District Society, a registered charity, was formed in 1965 to fight against large-scale industrial developments, to protect the rural qualities of the local villages, to put forward the view of its members and to reflect public opinion in the area. The primary aim of the Society is to preserve the amenities of Woburn Sands, Aspley Guise and the neighboring villages and hamlets, including Aspley Heath, the Brickhills, Husborne Crawley, Salford, Wavendon and Woburn, and to ensure as far as possible that any development is harmonious with their pleasant rural setting.