Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"LANGFORD, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, county Bedford, 2 miles S. of Biggleswade, its post town, and 4 north east of Shefford. It is a small agricultural village situated on the river Ivel. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £240, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a stone structure with a tower. The church contains the brass of a priest bearing date 1540. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a chapel. Thomas Alexander Rainsford, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BOOT END, a hamlet in the parish of Langford, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile south of Langford."
"FLEXMORE END, a hamlet in the parish of Langford, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile south east of Langford."
"WATER END, a hamlet in the parish of Langford, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south of Langford."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Church of England
- The church of St. Andrew is an unpretending but ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave of five bays, north aisle, south porch and a south tower containing 3 bells : there are a few ancient monuments : the church was partially restored in 1875 and was re-seated in 1884 in oak: a vestry has been erected in memory of the Rev. Henry Addington M.A. vicar 1850-71: a new organ was erected in 1885 : there are 360 sittings. The register dates from the year 1700. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here is a Wesleyan chapel, and there are charities amounting to £14 yearly, for bread and clothing. . [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see pictures of Langford which are provided by:
- There are here three manors: the manor of Holme with Langford, of which the Dean and Chapter of Westminster are lords; the manor of Langford Rectory, of which the Hon. Mr. Justice Hawkins is lord; and the manor of Langford of which Francis John Gurney esq. is lord. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL186411 (Lat/Lon: 52.055559, -0.271646), Langford which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Langford Clock Tower and the Parish Church Memorials transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.
- Langford History Society, founded in 1983, is a small, friendly village society.
They arrange a full programme of talks which take place in St Andrew's Church Hall in Langford and, in June and July, organise evening vistis to local places of interest.