We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England. Further places, historical information.

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"BILLINGTON, (or Great Billington) a chapelry in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, and hundred of Manshead, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles to the south east of Leighton-Buzzard, its post town. It is on the confines of Buckinghamshire, near the north bank of the river Ouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £45, in the gift of the inhabitants.

"CLIPSTONE is a small hamlet in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, 2 miles from Leighton Buzzard, 1½ miles from Hockliffe, and 4½ miles from Dunstable."

"EGGINGTON, (or Egginton), a chapelry in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2 miles east of Leighton Buzzard, and 52 N.W. of Dunstable. The village is small. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £94, in the patronage of the parishioners. The church is a plain brick edifice. Eggington House is the principal residence.

"FOX CORNER, a hamlet of Heath and Reach in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, ½ mile north of Reach."

"GROVEBURY, a farm house in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ miles south of Leighton Buzzard."

"HEATH, a village in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2 miles north of Leighton Buzzard."

"HEATH AND REACH, a chapelry in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2 miles north of Leighton-Buzzard, its post town. It is situated near the Grand Junction canal and the river Ouzel. The land is divided between arable, meadow, and woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, value £110. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is a modern edifice with a tower containing one bell. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National and three Sunday schools. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. Colonel Hanmer is lord of the manor."

"LITTLE BILLINGTON is a hamlet in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, situated 2 miles south from the town, and 7 from Dunstable. The villagers are employed in the straw plait business.

"REACH, a village in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2¼ miles north of Leighton Buzzard."

"RUSHMERE, a hamlet in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 1 mile west of Reach."

"STANBRIDGE, a chapelry in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 4 miles north west of Dunstable, its post town, and 3½ south east of Leighton-Buzzard. At Stanbridgeford is a station on the Leighton and Dunstable branch of the London and North-Western railway. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the straw plait manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Leighton-Buzzard. The church is dedicated to St. James. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There are two Sunday schools. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship."

"STANBRIDGEFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 1 mile south of Stanbridge."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013