GENUKI Home page    Leighton Buzzard Parish Leighton Buzzard
Parish
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"BILLINGTON, (or Great Billington) a chapelry in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, and hundred of Manshead, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles to the south east of Leighton-Buzzard, its post town. It is on the confines of Buckinghamshire, near the north bank of the river Ouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £45, in the gift of the inhabitants.

"CLIPSTONE is a small hamlet in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, 2 miles from Leighton Buzzard, 1½ miles from Hockliffe, and 4½ miles from Dunstable."

"EGGINGTON, (or Egginton), a chapelry in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2 miles east of Leighton Buzzard, and 52 N.W. of Dunstable. The village is small. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £94, in the patronage of the parishioners. The church is a plain brick edifice. Eggington House is the principal residence.

"FOX CORNER, a hamlet of Heath and Reach in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, ½ mile north of Reach."

"GROVEBURY, a farm house in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ miles south of Leighton Buzzard."

"HEATH, a village in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2 miles north of Leighton Buzzard."

"HEATH AND REACH, a chapelry in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2 miles north of Leighton-Buzzard, its post town. It is situated near the Grand Junction canal and the river Ouzel. The land is divided between arable, meadow, and woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, value £110. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is a modern edifice with a tower containing one bell. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National and three Sunday schools. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. Colonel Hanmer is lord of the manor."

"LITTLE BILLINGTON is a hamlet in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, situated 2 miles south from the town, and 7 from Dunstable. The villagers are employed in the straw plait business.

"REACH, a village in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2¼ miles north of Leighton Buzzard."

"RUSHMERE, a hamlet in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 1 mile west of Reach."

"STANBRIDGE, a chapelry in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 4 miles north west of Dunstable, its post town, and 3½ south east of Leighton-Buzzard. At Stanbridgeford is a station on the Leighton and Dunstable branch of the London and North-Western railway. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the straw plait manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Leighton-Buzzard. The church is dedicated to St. James. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There are two Sunday schools. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship."

"STANBRIDGEFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 1 mile south of Stanbridge."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014