[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"LITTLE BARFORD, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles to the south of St. Neot's, its post town. It is situated on the east side of the river Ouse, on the confines of Huntingdonshire. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £254, in the gift of the Rev. J. Allington, incumbent. The church, an ancient edifice, is dedicated to St. Mary, and has a Norman arch, a curious screen, and a monumental brass of the year 1535.
The church of St. Denys is a small structure in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and a western tower containing 4 bells, and was thoroughly restored in 1871: the roof is of open timber work, a portion of which is beautifully painted: a Perpendicular rood screen separates the vestry from the body of the church, and its lower stage is decorated with red and white roses : the south doorway shows some fine Norman work, with an inserted arch of Early English date: the north doorway, also late Norman, has a well-carved arch on two shafts : the chancel had a south aisle, the arches of which were formerly built into the wall: there is a peculiar brass to Thomas Perys, 1535, and Agnes his wife: the stained east window is a memorial to the Alington family : the organ was presented in 1876 by A. H. Royds esq. and it has since been improved at a cost of £100: there are 110 sittings. The register dates from the year 1661. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]