Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Luton, Bedfordshire, England. Further places, historical information.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Luton, Bedfordshire, England. Further places, historical information.

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"BISCOTT, (or Biscot) a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles from Luton."

"CHILTERN GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 2½ miles south south east of Luton."

"EAST HYDE, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 3 miles south east of Luton.

"GREAT BRAMINGHAM, (and Little) hamlets in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, in the county of Bedford, 4 miles to the north of Luton.

"LEAGRAVE, (or Leegrave or Lightgrave) a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, the source of the river Lea, near Lea(grave) Marsh, in county Beds, 3 miles north west of Luton.

"LIMBURY-CUM-BISCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 2 miles north west of Luton. It is situated on the ancient Icknield Way."

"LUTON HOO, a large single house in the parish of Luton, county of Bedfordshire, 2 miles south east of Luton."

"NEW MILL END, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 2½ miles south east of Luton."

"NEW TOWN, a village in the parish of Luton, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ miles south east of Luton. It is a suburb of Luton."

"PARK TOWN, a village in the parish of Luton, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ miles south east of Luton. It is a suburb of Luton."

"RAMRIDGE END, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 2 miles north east of Luton."

"ROUND GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 1 mile north east of Luton."

"SOMERIES, a small hamlet in the parish of Luton, county of Bedfordshire, 2 miles south east of Luton."

"STOCKWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile south south west of Luton. This hamlet is placed in the middle of Stockwood Park."

"STOPSLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 2¼ miles north east of Luton, its post town."

"THRALES END, a small hamlet in the parish of Luton, county of Bedfordshire, 3 miles south south east of Luton."

"WEST HYDE, a hamlet in the parish of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 3 miles south east of Luton. It contains several farmhouses, and the residence of Lionel Hames, Esq., called The Hyde. John S. Leigh, Esq., is lord of the manor.

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013