GENUKI Home page    Luton Parish<br>main page Luton
Parish
main page

LUTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.

[Transcribed information from Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer of England - 1750]
(unless otherwise stated)

"LUTON, (Bedfordshire) 3 m. from Dunstable, 8 from St. Albans, in the road to Okeham, and 28 cm. 29 mm. from London, is noted for the mf. of straw hats, and has a corn Mt. on M. with Fairs April 23, and Aug. 15. Here was a chapel adjoining to the Ch. founded in the R. of Hen. VI. by John Ld. Wenlock; who forfeiting it, Edw. IV. bestowed it on his courtiers; and in the next R. it bel. to John Rotheram, Esq; heir to Thomas Abp. of Yorkshire,"

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie 2011]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014