"MARSTON-MORETAINE, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Bedford, 4 miles north west of Ampthill, its post town, and 6 south west of Bedford. It is situated on a branch of the river Ouse, and was formerly a market town. The Bedford and Bletchley branch of the London and Birmingham railway passes through the parish, and has a station at Marston-Pillage. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and some few females in lace-making and straw-plait. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,120. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £797, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a detached tower containing five bells. The walls of the tower, which is of earlier date than the real of the building, are six feet in thickness. The interior of the church is well fitted up, and contains many ancient brasses, two of which bear the dates 1420 and 1451. The church was restored in 1844. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum. There is a large National school for both sexes. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship. The Rev. John Alington, Rector of Little Barford, is lord of the manor."
"CAULCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Marston Moretaine, county of Bedfordshire, ½ miles north east of Marston."
"LOWER SHELTON, a hamlet in the parish of Marston Moretaine, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile north of Marston.
"UPPER SHELTON, a hamlet in the parish of Marston Moretaine, county of Bedfordshire, 1¼ miles north of Marston.
"WOOD END, a hamlet in the parish of Marston Moretaine, county of Bedfordshire, 3 miles east of Marston"