[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
" MAULDEN, (St. Mary) a parish in the union of Ampthill, hundred of Redbornestoke, county of Bedford, one and a half miles (E) from Ampthill; containing 1330 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation nearly 3000 acres, of which 260 are woodland and plantations, and of the remainder, two thirds are arable and one third pasture; the surface is varied and the low grounds are watered by the river Flitt, a branch of the Ivel. Many of the females are employed in lacemaking and the plaiting of straw. There are some quarries of sandstone; and a pleasure fair is held in the week nearest to St. Bartholomews-day. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £15.9.7; net income £512; patron, marquess of Ailesbury. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn rent, under an act of inclosure in 1796. The church, principally in the latter English style, was with little intermixture, completely restored in 1837. There are places of worship for baptists and independents."