[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
" MEPPERSHALL, a parish in the hundred of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, 1¾ mile (south) from Shefford, containing 397 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £22, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. From thirty to forty children are educated by a schoolmistress for £15 per annum, arising from Emery's charity, at Ampthill. A small part of this parish is locally in a detached portion of the county of Hertford."