"MEPPERSHALL, (or Mepshall), a parish in the hundred of Clifton, county Bedford, 3 miles south of Shefford, its post town, 6 south by west of Biggleswade, and 12 south east of Bedford. The village is small, and chiefly agricultural. The plaiting of straw is carried on to some extent. Here are the remains of an ancient chapel, with an enriched Norman doorway, now converted into a barn. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £500, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is a cruciform structure, with a tower. The charities consist of a share with Ampthill The church has brasses of J. Mepertyshale in armour, bearing date 1440. There is a National school. The trustees of Mrs. Barbara Kane and Mrs. Pen Woodburn are lords of the manor.