"MILLBROOK, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Bedford, 2 miles west of Ampthill, its post town, and 7 south west of Bedford. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The women are employed in making pillow lace and plaiting straw. The land is principally arable. There was formerly a Benedictine cell to St. Alban's Abbey, which was removed to Beaulieu in Herts in 1119. A chain of hills intersects the parish nearly in the centre. The soil in the south part of the parish is of a light sandy nature, but in the north a strong clay. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1795. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £343, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, which is situated on rising ground about the centre of the village, is dedicated to St. Michael. It has a tower containing two bells. The interior of the church has a brass of a priest, and a marble monument by Westmacott to the Hon. Georgians Fox, youngest daughter of the late Lord Holland, who is also interred here. There is a charity of £6 6s. per annum, bequeathed by the late Dr. Allen for the instruction of 10 boys and the same number of girls. There is a National school."