[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"MILTON-BRYAN, (earlier, Milton Bryant) a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2½ miles south east of Woburn, its post town. The parish, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents under an Act of Enclosure in 1793. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £252, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small structure with a white square tower.
"CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Milton Bryant, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile north east of Milton Bryant."
The church of St. Peter is a small Norman edifice, much modernized, consisting of chancel, nave, transept and a central embattled tower containing 3 bells and a clock, the gift of Miss Louisa Mary Inglis, who left by will, in 1854, the sum of £100 for this purpose : there is a stained window, the gift of Lady Inglis : a monument with life-sized effigy by Chantrey, to Sir Hugh Inglis bart. d. 11 Aug. 1820, and a memorial to Sir Robert Harry Inglis bart. P.C. formerly M.P. for the University of Oxford, d. 1855, when the title became extinct : a memorial window to Sir Joseph Paxton kt. a native of this parish, was presented in 1867 by Lady Paxton: the church affords 200 sittings, The register dates from the year 1559. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
The old school in which Sir Joseph Paxton was educated is now disused. At the Norman survey Hugh de, Beauchamp had a manor with 6 hides, and the Bishop of Bayeux 4 hides. There were afterwards two manors, one of which belonged to the distinguished Sir Francis Bryan, and another was in the possession of the Abbey of Woburn: these came by marriage from the family of Johnson to Sir Hugh Inglis bart. The manor house is the residence of Miss Synnot, who is lady of the manor. Miss Synnot and the Duke of Bedford are the chief landowners. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]