Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"MILTON-ERNEST, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 5 miles N.W. of Bedford, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Ouse, and is chiefly agricultural. The Oakley hounds are kennelled here. The surface is undulating, and the soil near the river is rich and highly productive. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture or meadow. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1803. The living is a vicarage*' in the diocese of Ely, value £236. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure, with a tower containing a clock and six bells. The interior of the church contains monuments to the Rolt family. The charities consist of Turnor's almshouses, with an endowment of £65 per annum realised from land. There are day and Sunday schools for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The Countess of Bridgewater and Philip Booth, Esq., are lord and lady of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Church of England
- The church of All Saints is an interesting building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower with clock and 5 bells, re-hung in 1895 : there are piscina an ancient oak screen: the east window and others are stained, one being the gift of George Hurst esq. of Bedford, the other of the children of the Rev. C. G. Beaty Pownall M.A., J.P. vicar from 1835: at the west end of the south aisle is another stained window to the memory of Miss Lucy Starey : there are ancient monuments to the Rolt and Turnor families one of which is dated 1615 : in 1864-5 the church was restored and the chancel rebuilt, at a cost of about £2,000 raised by subscription; in 1883 a fine organ was introduced, at a cost of £180: the church will seat 207 persons. The register dates from the year 1538. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here is a Wesleyan chapel erected in 1839, and seating 200. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Milton Ernest which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL017561 (Lat/Lon: 52.193730, -0.513556), Milton Ernest which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Milton Ernest War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.