"MILTON-ERNEST, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 5 miles N.W. of Bedford, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Ouse, and is chiefly agricultural. The Oakley hounds are kennelled here. The surface is undulating, and the soil near the river is rich and highly productive. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture or meadow. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1803. The living is a vicarage*' in the diocese of Ely, value £236. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure, with a tower containing a clock and six bells. The interior of the church contains monuments to the Rolt family. The charities consist of Turnor's almshouses, with an endowment of £65 per annum realised from land. There are day and Sunday schools for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The Countess of Bridgewater and Philip Booth, Esq., are lord and lady of the manor."