GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

ODELL

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"ODELL, a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 8 miles north west of Bedford, its post town, and 1 mile north east of Harrold. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Ouse, and is wholly agricultural. Odell was formerly a market town under the Fitzwarrens. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, valued in the king's books at £19. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient, ivy-mantled structure, with a square towel containing a clock and five bells. The interior of the church has monuments to the Alston family. Odell Castle, the seat of the Alston family, is the principal residence. It is situated on an eminence in the midst of well-wooded grounds, and includes the remains of the ancient castle. Crewe Alston, Esq., is lord of the manor. A fair is held on Whit Thursday."

"FOLLY, a hamlet in the parishes of Harrold and Odell, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile north east of Harrold."

"LITTLE ODELL, a hamlet in the parish of Odell, county Bedfordshire, ½ mile west of Odell."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014