Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Old Warden, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"OLD WARDEN, a parish in the hundred of WIXAMTREE, county of BEDFORD, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Biggleswade, containing 670 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, united with that of Southill, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard; in the cemetery is the mausoleum of Lord Ongley. A market and fair, granted in 1218, were formerly held, but both have been long disused. An abbey for Cistercian monks from Rivaulx was founded here, in 1135, by Walter L'Espec; it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and at the dissolution had a revenue of £442. 11. 11."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]