GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

OLD WARDEN

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"OLD WARDEN, a parish in the hundred of Wixamtree, county Bedford, 3 miles S.W. of Biggleswade, its post town, and 8 south east of Bedford. The village was formerly a market town, and had a fair granted in 1218. An abbey for Cistercian monks from Rievaulx was founded in 1135 by Walter l'Espec, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was valued at £390, when the site was given to the Whitbreads. At Warden Hills is a meet for Mr. Brand's hounds. In the vicinity is the ruin of Warden Abbey. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Southill, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has been restored at the expense of the present Lord Ongley. In the churchyard is the mausoleum of the Ongley family. There are Sunday and infant schools. The principal residence is Warden House. W. H. Whitbread, Esq., is lord of the manor.

"CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Old Warden, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile north of Old Warden."

"WARDEN STREET, a long hamlet in the parish of Old Warden, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile east north east of Old Warden."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014