Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"PAVENHAM, (or Pavingham), a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 6 miles north west of Bedford, its post town. It is a small village, situated on the river Ouse, and is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1769. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a spired tower containing five bells. There is a National school, which is supported by Joseph Tucker; Esq. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Pavenham Bury, the principal residence, is situated in the midst of wooded grounds. Crewe Alston, Esq., is lord of the manor.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
- The church of St. Peter, standing on rising ground immediately at the back of Pavenham Bury, is a small edifice of stone of the Early English and Decorated periods, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, north aisle, continued eastwards to the same length as the chancel, south transept with porch on its western side, vestry m the angle formed by the tower and aisle, and a Decorated western tower with short octagonal broach spire, relieved by two tiers of dormers, and containing 5 bells and a clock: the form of the church, widening towards the east, is peculiar, and the transept again widens southward: in the transept are two Decorated canopied niches and a piscina: the chancel aisle or chapel also has canopied sedilia in the north wall: the church was fitted with fine old hood work about 1848, at the cost of the late Thomas Abbott Green esq. Then of Pavenham Bury; the chancel was restored in 1869, at the expense of of Trinity College, Cambridge, and the chapel at the expense of the late Joseph Tucker esq. of Pavenham Bury, and the parish; there are memorials to J. Franklin esq. 1748; Lucretia, wife of William Newell, 1779 and others; here was also buried in 1508 Sir Thomas Hubrahum kt.: there are also memorials to several of the Alston family: there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560, and contains entries of the Percy family from 1581 to 1592. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The Wesleyan chapel here was built in 1859. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Pillow lace is made here to a small extent; there is also mat and brisket making and rush plaiting. The matmaking business was brought from London, at the time of the great Plague, by the Hipwell family, members of which had left Pavenham for the metropolis at a much earlier date, and matting was made in Pavenham for the Houses of Parliament even during the present century. Pavenham Bury, the seat of Mrs. Burton-Alexander, stands on an eminence facing the south. Mrs. Burton-Alexander and the Misses Hilton are the principal landowners. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see pictures of Pavenham which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP989556 (Lat/Lon: 52.189745, -0.554651), Pavenham which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Pavenham War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it
- Church of England School (mixed), built by the late Joseph Tucker esq. in 1853, with master's house, for 130 children; average attendance, 85 ; William Wilson B.E.I.S. master; Miss Mary S. Wilson, Infants' mistress ; in 1877 a clock was placed in the school tower, at a cost of about £100, by Mrs. Tucker, as a memorial to her husband, Joseph Tucker esq. J.P. ; the school is entirely supported by Mrs. Burton- Alexander. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]