"PAVENHAM, (or Pavingham), a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 6 miles north west of Bedford, its post town. It is a small village, situated on the river Ouse, and is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1769. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a spired tower containing five bells. There is a National school, which is supported by Joseph Tucker; Esq. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Pavenham Bury, the principal residence, is situated in the midst of wooded grounds. Crewe Alston, Esq., is lord of the manor.