Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"PERTENHALL, (formerly Peter's Hall), a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 2½ miles south west of Kimbolton, its post town, and 8 north east of St. Neot's. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Pertenhall Hoo, and is wholly agricultural. The surface is hilly, and the soil a stiff clay alternating with gravel. There is a chalybeate spring called Chadwell The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £30 7s. 6d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £510. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, has a spired tower. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. Wood End Cottage is the principal residence. -- Tismey, Esq., is lord of the manor. Here was formerly a preceptory of the Knights Templars, of which only the site, surrounded by a moat, is now remaining.
"CHADWELL END, a hamlet in the parish of Pertenhall, county of Bedfordshire, ¼ mile west of Pertenhall."
"GREEN END, a hamlet in the parish of Pertenhall, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile south of Pertenhall."
"WOOD END, a hamlet in the parish of Pertenhall, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile north of Pertenhall."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- St. Peter's Church, Pertenhall.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Peter is a structure of stone in the Transition, Early English and Later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of the 13th century, north aisle, south porch and a Perpendicular western tower of four stages, with a fine octagonal broach spire with dormer lights, and containing 3 bells: the chancel is Decorated, and there is a good Perpendicular rood screen with rich tracery, painted and gilt: three Transition arches divide the nave and aisle, and at the east end of the latter is an Early English recess, in which is the recumbent stone effigy of a knight, in mail armour, cross-legged: on the eastern gable of the nave is a sanctus bell turret: on the south wall of the nave is a small marble tablet to various members of the Rolt family, who lived during the 17th century, including Mary, wife of Edward Rolt, 1632, and youngest daughter of Sir Oliver Cromwell: in the vestry, which is on the site of a Lad y chapel, now destroyed, date 1280, is a classic mural monument of freestone, with Latin inscription, to Susan (Fisher), wife of Simon Gray, 1685 ; there are also several modern tablets to the Martyn and King families: in the floor of the vestry is the original altar slab, removed from the chancel A.D. 1643 by one of William Dowsing's agents, under a warrant from the Earl of Manchester: in 1393 the arcade was taken down and rebuilt, and new roofs put on the nave and north aisle: there arc 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1582. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There is a Moravian chapel, built and endowed in 1827 by the Rev. J. K Martyn M.A. who resigned the curacy of Pertenhall in 1809, and having joined the Moravian church was the founder of a Moravian society in this parish and at Kimbolton. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Pertenhall which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Pertenhall has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The ancient Manor house of Pertenhall, situated near the church on the site of a former moated mansion belonging to he Knights Templars, belongs to Mrs. Campion. and is a large building in the Elizabethan style, with small central gable and gabled wings, formerly relieved by tall oriels; there are still three tiers of mulioned windows : in 1588 it became the property of Bishop Fox, founder of Corpus Christi college, Oxford, and was by him presented to that college, in whose possession it remained until pu rchased in 1877 by the late Edward Campion esq. by whom it was thoroughly restored ; during the work of restoration portions of no less than 23 human skeletons were found; the house contains a quantity of very fine old oak carvings and wood work. Wood End, occupied by William H. Pope esq. is a pleasant residence, and commands a most picturesque view. There are three manors in his parish, viz. Hoo, Pertenhall and Bell's alias Conington's Fee. The lords are the Martyn family, Corpus Christi college, Oxford, and Mr. William Claridge respectively. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL082652 (Lat/Lon: 52.274277, -0.415589), Pertenhall which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Pertenhall War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it
- National School (mixed), built in 1870 on a site given by John Martyn esq. for 60 children; average attendance, 34 ; Miss Kate Elson, mistress. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]