Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"PERTENHALL, a parish in the hundred of STODDEN, county of BEDFORD, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Kimbolton containing 324 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £18, and in the patronage of the Rev. J. R. Martyn. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. Here was formerly a preceptory of the Knights Templars, of which only the site, surrounded with a moat, is now remaining. There is a chalybeate spring, called Chad-well."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]