Geographical and Historical information from the year 1898.
[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1898]
"PERTENHALL, a parish in the hundred of STODDEN, county of BEDFORD, 2 miles (south-south-west) from Kimbolton, containing 324 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese or Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £18, and in the patronage of the Rev S. R. Martyn. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. Here was formerly a preceptory of the Knights Templars, of which only the site, surrounded with a moat, is now remaining There is a chalybeate spring, called Chad-well.
By Local Government Board Order 6,982, dated 9 Oct. 1879, detached parts of Pertenhall were added to Bolnhurst, Little Staughton and Keysoe."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]
[from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]