[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"PODINGTON, a parish in the hundred of WILLEY, county of BEDFORD, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Harrold, containing 581 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £7 6. 8., endowed with £200 parliamentary grant. R. Orlebar, Esq. was patron in 1801. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains several ancient monuments, the principal of which is erected to the memory of General Livesay. The manufacture of thread-lace is carried on here. There is a petrifying spring in the parish; and small shells of the ostroites, belemnitee, and turbinitse species are found imbedded in the clay and gravel pits. Canary birds in a wild state are frequently met with in the neighbourhood."