GENUKI Home page    Podington Parish<br>main page Podington
main page

Geographical and Historical information from the year 1898.

[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1898]

" PODINGTON, (or PUDDINGTON) a parish and small village, 3 miles south from Irchester station on the main line of the Midland railwav about 6 south- east from Wellingborough and 14 north-west from Bedford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Willey. Sharnbrook petty sessional division, county court district and union of Wellingborough, rural deanerv of Felmersham, archdeaconry of-Bedford and diocese of Ely. A small brook rises on the confines of the parish, above the village of Hinwick, over which there is a stone (county) bridge of three arches, built by Mr. Orlebar in 1779. Under the provisions of the "Divided Parishes Act, 1882," Yelnoe farm has been transferred from Podington to Odell. By Local Government Board Order 16,417, dated March 24, 1884, Farndish was annexed to this parish for civil purposes.

The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and limestone and rock in places. The chief crops are wheat and pasture. The area is 3,513 acres ; rateable value, £3,293 ; the population in 1891 was 504 in the civil and 424 in the ecclesiastical parish. HINWICK is a hamlet, 1 mile south."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]
[from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014