[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"PODINGTON, (or Puddington), a parish in the hundred of Willey, county
Bedford, 5 miles from Wellingborough, its post town, and 4 north of Harrold.
The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The parish
includes the hamlet of Hinwick. The soil is chiefly a strong loam,
intermixed with clay. There is a petrifying spring, and small shells and
fossils are found in the gravel pits. Canary birds are found to live here
in a wild state. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act
in 1765. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £134. The
church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a spired tower containing a clock
and four bells. The church has been recently thoroughly restored. The
interior contains some brasses, one of which is to J. Howard, bearing date
1518, also a monument to General Livesay, at whose expense the church was
erected. There is a National school. Hinwick House and Hinwick Hall are the
principal residences. R. L. Orlebar, Esq., is lord of the manor and
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"HINWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Podington, hundred of Willey, county
Bedford, 4 miles north west of Harrold. The principal residence is Hinwick Hall,
built about 1710 by General Livesay."
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Podington.
- Church of England
The church of the Virgin Mary is a handsome edifice of stone, in the Transitional, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower of Early English date, with crocketed Perpendicular spire, containing a clock and 4 bells: the chancel retains an Early English piscina, and in the north wall are four sepulchral arches, two semi-circular and the others pointed, but now blocked with memorials to the families of Payne and Child: the carving of the porch door, Perpendicular, is unusually rich: in the church is a monument to General Livesay, 1717, a descendant of Sir Michael Livesay, the regicide, and there are many memorials to the Orlebar family from 1658; of the Childs from 1647, and the family of Payne from 1624: in the nave is a brass effigy with inscription to John Howard, 1518, and in the church and churchyard are inscribed stones to the Rev. William Bamford, vicar, 1734, and the Rev. Oliver St. John Cooper M.A. vicar, 1801 : the porch has
been rebuilt and the south aisle re-roofed at a cost of about £220: in 1883 the church was again restored, at a cost of £330: the font is Norman, and its exterior surface exhibits three designs representing the Trinity: the church plate includes a chalice, presented by Elizabeth Livesay in 1707; and there is a black letter Bible, dated 1613: the church affords 333 sittings. The register dates from the year 1662.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the
Podington War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014