Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"POTSGROVE, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 3 miles S.E. of Woburn, its post town. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Battlesden, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square embattled tower. On the windows are paintings of great antiquity. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum."
"SHEEPLANE, a hamlet in the parish of Potsgrove, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ miles west of Potsgrove."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- St. Margaret's Church, Potsgrove. contents of the churchweb file are inserted here.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary, a small edifice of the 14th century, consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western belfry of wood, containing 3 bells: the chancel retains a Decorated rood-screen, and on the north side a sepulchral recess with an obtuse foliated arch: there are two good two-light Decorated windows on the north and south of the nave with remains of stained glass: the east window and north doorway are Perpendicular: there are some ancient brasses to the Saunders family: the church was restored in 1881, at a cost of £1,450, and affords 90 sittings. The register dates from the year 1663. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There is a Wesleyan chapel at Sheep lane. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Potsgrove which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP950299 (Lat/Lon: 51.959435, -0.618833), Potsgrove which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Potsgrove War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it